Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Not Done Yet

It seems that "firsts" were not done yet.  I can hardly walk anywhere in the pen without Sheila rubbing her head against me, pushing on my side, and generally making a pest of herself.  Inga likes a butt rub before leaving the stand.  Tessie, since she was little, has been standoffish and somewhat aloof.  When done eating, all she has wanted was to get down off the stand and out of the barn without any folderol, thank you very much.  She's never seemed to want or need affection.  I've been grateful that she wasn't a head-rubber because of that twelve-inch unicorn horn.  Thus it was a surprise and a definite first when Tess walked up to me yesterday and very gently (thank you!) rubbed her head against my side.  She seemed to be very conscious of her horn and was careful that it didn't bump (or gore) me.  I once had a cat, Tagalong-Toolu, who, when she was younger, was so elusive that friends who had never seen her denied we even had a cat.  When she was an old girl, her personality changed and she began to stick to the Kids like a limpet, even sitting on their head if refused a lap.  I wonder if something similar has happened to Tessie.  Last evening I was sitting and waiting for Tess to make up her mind to come in when she stepped up to me and  "asked" me to pet her head.  Go figure.

I'm not done yet with the King book.  That's so unlike me, but I was prodded by guilt to get a longstanding chore done yesterday.  It is very satisfying to have it off the list, but I'd rather have been reading.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That is so interesting about Tessie...I will be curious to know if it continues.