Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Round Two

Here we go again for round two, or is it three?  When I went down to the barn, the rain had turned to a kind of half-hearted slush falling.  Sleet is a combination of hail and rain, but the messy stuff we had didn't qualify.  It did coat the long grass in the pen and made walking to the barn an interesting, slippery experience and, man, was it cold!  The girls are getting used to having the big room left open and, since they were a tad cranky yesterday, I also left the play yard open so the odd-man-out would have a place to get in out of the weather, too.

Hot cocoa is the best thing I know for thawing frozen fingers when chores are done.  I'd no more than fixed a cup when it began to snow in earnest.  In no time, we were in white-out conditions and in an hour there were two-plus inches of snow on the deck.  I still needed to bring firewood to the porch, and the photo was taken just as I stepped outside.  All that in just one hour!  I called to reschedule my Thursday doctor's appointment because another storm will be coming in toward the end of the week and no way was I going to drive in that stuff.  I did ask if Doctor couldn't just call me with the results of the ultrasound and save us both some time.  A short while later, her assistant called and said the test was completely clear.  Yay!

Stove was stuffed and cranking out heat.  I had another cup of cocoa and settled in to enjoy an old movie, one I've seen umpteen times and never tire of.  "Dark Victory" (1939, with Bette Davis, George Brent, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Humphrey Bogart, and a very young Ronald Reagan) is a tragic melodrama that brings me to tears no matter how many times I've seen it.  It's always good to have some DVR programs on hand when it snows because if the satellite dish gets filled up and live TV isn't available, as long as there's power there's something to watch.

And so went the day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That DOES make me cold just looking! Glad the doc's office wised up, and yay is right.