Thursday, February 22, 2018

More Of The Same

Yesterday being a day between engagements, I did what I always do...a whole lot of nothing.  Water in the goats' trough was frozen over.  It's a good thing I'm in the habit of topping it off on my way back to the house at sundown, because the hose was also frozen and no water came from the pipe in the morning.  All the critters, wild and domestic, were more than ready for breakfast.  I think it helps them stay warm, or at least warmer, in cold weather.

Stove also demanded to be fed, so more wood was brought to the porch.  I'm keeping an eye on the woodpile; it's got to last through the winter.  Beau stopped by the other day to discuss cutting up the fallen oak down by the road; we'd split the wood fifty-fifty.  We talked about it before and I'd agreed.  That was only a year ago (one wouldn't want to rush into anything).

Waldo has gone missing again.  He's not in any of the usual hiding places and one or the other of the cats may have taken him downstairs, where I rarely go anymore.  He'd better show up pretty soon, because Celeste is transferring her affection to Al, the 'Gator.  Al is another of those knitted finger puppets like the piglets scattered throughout the house.  From his condition, the little green alligator has obviously been around for awhile, but I don't remember getting him and have no idea where he's been.  Ralph is indiscriminate and will play with any toy he comes across.  Celeste fixates on one specific favorite at a time, and this time it's Al.

Snow is predicted down to 2,000 feet this morning; I'm at about 25,00 feet.  I'm hoping it holds off because I've got to go to Cameron Park this afternoon.  We're promised just a dusting here, but I'm not looking forward to driving an icy Bucks Bar.

No comments: