Saturday, July 14, 2018

Cast Away

No, not the 2000 movie "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks in a stellar, almost-solo performance.  There was an overcast sky yesterday and it was cool, relatively speaking, in the 70s almost until 1:00.  I found myself singing "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is" from the old, black-and-white commercial from the 1950s with Speedy Alka Seltzer.  Doing a little research, that era is now referred to as "vintage."  I like that term.  I'm no longer going to say I'm elderly...I'm vintage!

A nap in heat is mandatory if for no other reason than escape.  A nap in cool weather is pure pleasure.  I took advantage of the break to actually do something other than sleep, as well.  After all that got done the day before, the list was short.  Just as well, because around 1:00 the overcast burned away, burned being the definitive term.  The grey sky had brought no rain, but when it went away the temperature soared like a rocket and the humidity was brutal.  All activity came to a screeching halt.

It was a delight in the morning to see a mama turkey shepherding seven little turkletts to the feeding station.  These were the first I'd seen this year.  I could only wish Mama good luck.  There is a high mortality rate with youngsters, and it is so sad to watch a family be decimated.

Just the walk to the barn left me pouring sweat.  The whole-house fan after sundown brought no relief as all it brought in was more hot, humid air.  Last night was the first time I ran the bedroom ceiling fan all night just to stir the air around and hope for the best.  It's still running and it's still hot.

I've tried to stay away from the subject of weather.  Oh well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Vintage is GOOD! Mid-Century Modern is the one I heard several years ago about furniture of the 50s...and then I realized I was also the same thing (Well, 3 years before mid, but close enough.) Yep, the humidity is a KILLER!