Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Jump Start

It was almost pleasant walking down to the barn at 6 a.m. yesterday, cool even.  The girls were a little surprised to see me that early, but were willing to go along with the program and were done with their breakfast by the time the boys got here at 6:30.  The guys had brought shovels, but what is really needed to scoop goat pellets is a leaf rake first, then a shovel.  I had the rake.  The Kid is a year younger than Brother, but since he got the job first I direct all instructions to him, just to let Brother know who's in charge.

Getting such a jump on the day left time in the morning to get something done in the house before it really started heating up.  I may stick to the new schedule.  Or not.  I'd finished cleaning the kitchen when the boys came up to the house, asking if I needed help with anything else.  That made me smile inside because the question was not entirely altruistic.  More work meant more money.  What I appreciated most was that they hadn't dragged out the barn chore to extend their time.  Since they had shovels, I asked them to dig away weeds and dirt piled up under the gate to the goat pen that were making the gate hard to close, and off they went.  They really are good kids.

I'd been told that The Kid and Brother would be available for work all this week, but I had to explain to the fellas that paying them for two days  used up all my available cash.  If I get to the store, I'll replenish the supply, but I'm not going to make a special trip.

I've been watching the Ken Burns documentary "The Vietnam War," a ten-part film that I've only been able to take in small doses.  All that madness and death, and for what?  It's an exceptionally fine film, and it was important that I watch to the end.  It should be required viewing in the hope that we do not repeat that mistake again.

Would you believe I actually dusted yesterday?  I did!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

You DUSTED??? Good on ya! Sounds like your helpers are a-ok!!