Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Fly By

Eleven months out of the year, we are fly free up here and never see a one.  Evidently July is the chosen month this year because I'm killing at least a dozen in the house every day.  Yech!  I don't really see them outside, but they lurk by the doors and sneak in during Bessie's frequent in-an-out trips.  The only good thing is that I know (hope) they'll soon go back to wherever they came from.

It got hot early on yesterday.  I knew I had to make the dreaded trip to town, but couldn't take Bess with me on that excursion.  Wanting to give her an A/C break too, we made a quick (fly-by) drive to the "cookie store."  It's amazing how even five minutes in the truck with the air conditioner blasting stops her heavy panting.  Poor little girl.  (Poor me.)

For a change, there was no traffic on the way to P'ville so I could enjoy the drive and the A/C without rushing.  I made each of three stops in town as quick as possible.  Even so, Truck's door handle was burning hot and the interior was like an oven when I got back in.  I laugh at myself every time I come back from a shopping trip and unload as many bags as possible at one time until I look like a pack mule and stagger to the house.  Yes, of course I could make two (or more) trips, but where is the challenge in that?

One thing that does not fly by is a long, hot day.  Just putting the girls to bed was enough to pop a sweat.  There was no sense in turning on the whole-house fan which pulls in the cool evening air after sundown and blows the accumulated hot air out of the attic last night because it never cooled off.

No comments: