Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Fourth

When she appears (as she did again yesterday), Missy is such a sociable little girl.  She "helps" me get Inga's bowl ready and asks for and receives a bit of loving, and then we go together to the back section to get her breakfast.  When her bowl is full, she dives in, but still wants a few more pets before summarily dismissing me.  "Thank you, hooman, your work here is done."

I'd put in a call to Go-To the day before and left a message, explaining the leaky faucet situation and that it was not, repeat not, an emergency.  GT is an avid fisherman and I assumed he'd be spending time at one of the lakes for the holiday, so was surprised to get his call as soon as I got back up from the barn yesterday.  GT lives one hill over to the north of me and his mother lives one hill to the south.  He had a chore to do for his mom, and said he'd stop by here on his way back.  I sure wasn't going to say no.  It must have been a quick chore because he and his youngest son were here within an hour.  I'd made a lucky guess on the faucet I'd bought (what do I know about these things?), because it was the right size.  Ta da!  Son was in training and did the muscle work while Go-To supervised and did the fetch-and-carry.  The job was done in no time at all, and not a drip in sight.  I was Go-To's first customer when he started his own business, and it's pretty neat to get a big hug from a friend (and Son!) when the work is done.

What would the Fourth of July be without watching "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942, James Cagney, Joan Leslie, Walter Huston)?  Darn near unAmerican!  Cagney is known for his gangster roles, but he was a song-and-dance man first and foremost, and made the most of George M. Cohan's oh-so-patriotic music.  The movie almost made up for not flying the flag.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What an upbeat blog. I loved it. When I first took tap dance lessons, I was 24 years old and took a semi-private lesson with a dear friend, and then when I moved on to a full class, I was in class with Jimmy Cagney's niece (Jeanne's daughter.) And at a later time Jimmy came to the studio with Jeanne to watch his niece's lesson, but he sat in a corner incognito until after the lesson when he privately signed the soul of the teacher's (my mother-in-law by then) shoe. And he told her she was a very good teacher...which she most certainly was!!