Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Progress

A lot got done yesterday, but not by me.  The Kid and Brother, now known as the Dynamic Duo, came at 6:30, armed with the gloves I'd told them to wear.  I had a very dirty, much needed job for them to do.  Some long while back, hundreds of pounds of acorns stuffed by woodpeckers over the ceiling of the "first shed" had come pouring down.  Clay and I had cleaned up that awful mess.

Yeah, well, it didn't last.  Between rats and ground squirrels, the shed was a disaster zone again.  I store bags of squashed aluminum cans in there until there are enough to justify a trip to the recycling center, as well as some other odds and ends and the birdseed.  The furry fiends in residence had torn open the bags and scattered the cans.  They'd pushed glass jars off of shelves to break on the cement floor.  Remnants of insulation from what was left of the ceiling was thrown down, presumably to make comfy beds below.  In addition, there was a ton of droppings everywhere.  Yech.

The Dynamic Duo worked for three hours and made terrific headway.  Brother explained that it was hard to get into the corners with the shovel.  Waggling my fingers, I explained what they were for.  "Oh."  That's okay.  It was getting hotter by the minute and the boys had gotten a lot done, so I called it quits for them and their mama came to pick them up.

I don't feel even a twinge of guilt at having displaced who knows how many squirrels and/or rats.  It's time they realized this is not a homeless camp and they need to move on.  Hospitality has its limits, and I'd definitely reached mine.

There is still much that needs doing, but there was progress yesterday.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

I had so many acorns stuffed into outside wall, they pushed two wires together and started a fire..those dratted acorn woodpeckers..never
Know when they have enough.