Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Oh Say Can You See?

I guess, for the first time in I can't remember when, I won't be flying our flag on the Fourth of July.  I don't want another debacle trying to get it down like the last time.  Francis Scott Key will be so disappointed.

Piddly chores were all that got done yesterday, not because of the heat, but because of the poor air quality.  Smoke from the wildfires blankets the valley and has pushed its way up here and it's hard to breathe.  I planned to make a run into town, but remembered  that Truck needed gas, so cheated and picked up a few things at the feed store instead while filling the tank.  I also had to get a new faucet for the water pipe out by the chicken-less pen.  No matter how hard I turn it, the old one keeps dripping, and that just won't do.  Not only is it a waste of precious water, it also ups the electricity bill (it takes power to run the pump).  I'll put in a call to Go-To after the holiday to install the new faucet.  I can only imagine the disaster if I were to try to do that myself.

The best news yesterday was that Cam got home.  I know that there were three very happy, happy dogs at her house.

I can see (by dawn's early light) that the smoke has already backed up against the hills and I can taste it.  I hope that everyone up here obeys the ban on fireworks in the county.  Smoke is bad enough, we don't need a fire to go with it.

No comments: