Sunday, July 22, 2018

Good Medicine

A visit from Deb and Craig yesterday was just what the doctor ordered to cure my bad case of Grumps.  My heart lifted as soon as their truck drove up and I saw their smiling faces.  To put the frosting on it, my personal shoppers brought a lot of stuff from the wish list, including big bags of salt-and-pepper pistachios.  (If you've never tried these, do!  They are addicting.)  Bess Anne was getting low on the treats reserved just for going in the truck.  We're long past the days when she was afraid to take a ride, but she still looks forward to her special treat when we get home (I'm not above bribery).

The Kids had picked the perfect day to come up.  I don't think it got over 85, but it was still more comfortable to sit in the dining room where there is a window A/C and a ceiling fan.  It was so much better than opening the door and welcoming guests to hell.  We sat and talked and snacked on pistachios and I didn't have to pass around the spray bottle once for survival.  Because of the heat, I really don't expect to see the Kids from Mother's Day to Thanksgiving, so this visit was an especial treat.

Because I can't bear to have a dog begging at the table, Bessie has been trained from puppyhood not to sit and stare when we're at the dining room table.  She goes underneath and goes to sleep, usually with her head on someone's foot.  Ralph is another story.  Yesterday he was like a three-year-old child, constantly demanding attention.  He pulled out all the tricks in the book to the point of being obnoxious.  Celeste did her vanishing act until just before the Kids were getting ready to leave.  She came cautiously out into the hall and we were able to coax her into the living room.  I think Clay had conditioned her to accept "strangers" (how many years has it taken?).

I look forward to Deb's Saturday morning phone calls, but how much better to sit and talk face to face.  Gosh, I've missed that.  All too soon it was time for the Kids to leave, but how grand to hear "Love you!" as they drove away.

Putting the girls to bed later, it was as if the sun was celebrating the day, as well.  Not a Grump in sight.  It was a good day.

No comments: