Monday, July 2, 2018

The Early Bird

The saying goes, "The early bird catches the worm," but I've yet to catch any and  I seem to be the only early bird around here.  There might be a bluejay or two just getting up when I go out in the morning, but the turkeys haven't yet caught on to the summer feeding schedule and none are waiting in the buffet line under the oak.  Getting to the barn by 7 (7:30 if I dawdle) sure makes the job easier on me, and the goats, as well.  Those lazybones turkeys are beginning to gather by the time I'm coming back to the house; they're not about to miss a meal.

Yesterday was one of the hottest yet, and I had DVRd several programs to watch on such a day, knowing I'd not get much done.  PBS is my go-to channel for quality productions.  I sat enthralled and watched "Ellis Island: The Dream Of America," with a beautiful score composed by Peter Boyer performed by the Pacific Symphony, and spoken excerpts from letters written by actual immigrants arriving in America in the early 1900s up to 1940.  People sacrificed everything and endured such hardship to come to the land of Lady Liberty to find opportunity and to flee war, oppression, and poverty.  Yes, there was vetting, and no, not everyone was accepted, but there were no border walls and families were not torn apart.  I truly try to avoid politics in The View, but I was moved to tears by the contrast between "then" and "now."

Bowyer had a rough start, but came forward to place fifth at the end of yesterday's race.  It absolutely astounded me to see that temperatures inside the cars were sometimes over 150 degrees!  That's just insane.  Drivers were pouring water over themselves at pit stops and getting bags of ice to tuck in their suits.  It was said that the guys could lose up to eight pounds during a race.  (And I complain when it gets to 90.  Wuss.)

I filled Bessie's pool.  She didn't go in, but used it like a huge water dish and stopped by for a drink every time she went outside.

Sun's up.  Time to get a jump on the day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I'm a wuss when it hits 80!!!! Interestingly enough, my daughter in law's family was separated when they came to Ellis Island because a small daughter had a badly wounded, and still healing hand, and the officials thought it might be something communicable, and part of the family stayed and part went home. The part I liked best about our 1980s tour of Ellis Island was the explanation that every adult entering was expected to have either a sponsor or a job so that they would not be a drain on the resources of the citizen taxpayers. I would appreciate it that way now, as I think those serious about embracing our culture would be the ones to want to move. I would welcome anyone without nefarious motives who wanted to work to achieve the American Dream!