Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Two, Please

Either Dang-It is getting weary or I may be winning one for a change.  Either way, yesterday morning he'd pushed only a token amount of dirt out of the tunnel and had not bothered to knock the lid off the chow barrel.  It might be just a lull in the skirmish, but I'll take it!

Try as I might to avoid the subject, the topic of the day is the heat.  When it's up to 90 in the house, it's hard to think of much else.  It's hard to think, period.  I went through two spray bottles of water in a day.  Each spritz evaporated as soon as it hit my skin, but it was momentary relief.  Bess Anne was a bit luckier in that regard.  She suffers from the heat as much as I, and I could hear her panting from across the room.  She went willingly with me out to her pool, but had to wait while I added cold water because I would have had a boiled hot dog if I'd put her in without testing it first.  When it was ready, she needed no coaxing to step in and I soaked her completely.  Once again, she gave just a token shake before heading back into the house.  Breathing normally, she fell immediately fell asleep.  Later in the day, she asked to go out and do it again and I was happy to comply.

Close to sundown, I loaded the trash and Bessie into the truck, turned on the A/C, and drove slowly down to the big road.  I left the motor running for Bess while I hauled the barrel from Cam's driveway, down our dirt road, and across the street.  If I hadn't had to get back to put the girls to bed, we might have taken a bit of a ride just to cool off.  It was nice while it lasted.

Puffy white clouds on the horizon often make me think of smoke signals.  Whoever was "sky talking" yesterday was using Morse code with just those unusual dashes.  Hmmm.

Sometimes on a hot day I'll run water from the hose over the back of my neck while I'm replenishing the goat trough after putting the girls to bed.  Yesterday I quite literally soaked my head and, like Bessie, went back into the house dripping wet.  It was the best I'd felt all day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Argh, that heat sounds wicked indeed. I'm sorry you don't have even a swamp cooler! I heard on the radio that it is harder for people to think in hot climates!! I believe it.