Saturday, March 30, 2019

Another Quote

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," Blanche DuBois' line in "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951 film, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter, Vivien Leigh) came to mind yesterday.  It isn't entirely accurate for me because I'm pretty independent, but close enough.  I was getting ready for barn chores yesterday when I was startled to see a man's shadow walk across the front porch.  I hadn't heard a vehicle drive up and certainly wasn't expecting company.  It turned out to be my neighbor Beau, unannounced, who was bringing firewood up to the porch.  I hate to admit it, but it's something that I struggle with anymore.  Beau filled the rack to the top and chided me for not burning more.  I know what it takes to split, stack, and bring wood to the house and so try to be frugal with the supply.  Beau isn't a stranger, but he certainly is kind.

It was a sunny day all day for a change, but the house was cold even though I'd had a small fire the day before.  Taking Beau's advice, I lit Stove and kept him fed.  For the first time in days I luxuriated in warmth.

It's very frustrating when I know that the new TV receiver can do a thing and not know how to do it.  Dang the provider for not providing a manual!  Nothing for it but to call the Help Line again.  If I were to get the same tech each time, we'd be on a first-name basis by now.  There I was again, depending on a stranger.  She patiently walked me through the process.  My hangup seems to be that there are some procedures when the "button" has to be pushed twice.  Who knew, and how could one know?

The sunshine was inspiring and I actually earned my pay yesterday.  It was a good day.

No comments: