Monday, March 25, 2019

Get A Job

I've come to a decision.  I don't know if it will work.  If it does, I don't know how long it will last.  We'll see.  It's no secret that housework is the bane of my life.  Without the impetus of company coming, I take a pretty lackadaisical approach.  I've decided that I've been going at it all wrong and need to make a change in my thinking.  (First the thought, then the deed.)  I was always a good employee when I worked outside the home, and was disciplined enough to keep a lucrative home transcription business going for over ten years.  My decision is that I've been going at this business of housework all wrong, fitting it in when the mood struck.  I need to think of it as a real job, like it or not.  My plan is to take on at least one task to accomplish every day and to stick with it.

I made a start at turning thought to action yesterday while watching Bowyer come in in the top ten at the race in Martinsville by stripping the bedclothes and putting the laundry servants to work, and then remaking the bed.  (Although sunny, it wasn't warm enough to hang the sheets outside to dry.)  It wasn't a monumental start, but it was indeed a beginning.  Living alone over the years, it has been very easy to slip into a state of ennui and just not care.  I do care about my home and just haven't been doing right by it (or me).  I'm tired of not earning my pay.

I could see the wheels turning in Stanley's head while I was gathering eggs yesterday.  "Don't do it, buddy, don't do it."  He looked me in the eye and evidently thought better of an attack.  He casually went back to pecking at his breakfast.  That was good for both our sakes.

Missy met me in the pen to lead the way to her bowl.  It's not just the food she wants, and she's not subtle about wanting to be petted.  My reward is hearing her purr.  How glad I am that this little girl has chosen to spend time with me.

I'm trying to decide on the agenda for the day.  After all, it's my job.

No comments: