Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Devil Or Angel

("Devil Or Angel," song by The Clovers, 1956.)

Michael is, as the old Ivory soap ad said, 99.44 pure angel.  I took this picture yesterday just because of the intelligence beaming in his eyes.  I was telling him, as I do every day, how handsome, funny, smart, soft, and good he is.  You can tell he is in full agreement.

Maybe he is too smart for his own good.  There is that .56 percent that says Michael is his own man.  We went for the last walk of the day just before taking the trash to the big road.  My plan was to put him in the house while I loaded the truck and then we'd go for a ride.  Yeah, well.  I slipped off his leash so he could make his dash for the porch.  He took off like a shot, veered to the right, and said, "Buh-bye!"  "Michael, don't you do it!  Come back here right now!"  Michael said, "Lalala, I can't hear you," as he headed down the driveway.  I didn't have time for this, so I went down to the road alone.

He must have heard the truck drive off, because he was waiting for me at the top of the drive when I got back.  I'm sure he thought I''d never leave without him.  Roll down the window and bellow, "Michael, go to the house NOW!"  That little devil tucked tail and raced to the porch of what was now the doghouse.  He's certainly not used to being chastised, and I'm not used to yelling at him.  We're back to being best buddies now.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

This reminds me of a comment Stefanie Powers made in a little documentary. When she was about 20 she was in McLintock with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara and she said she was excited when John was going to give her some acting advice. But all he told her was, "Remember kid, it's all in THE EYES!" Michael looks sooo intelligent. Too bad you can't have him wear a Go-Pro or use a drone so that you can see footage of where he goes when he takes off. Maybe he is safe...maybe he's not. But I'm glad that you are friends again :-)