Sunday, February 16, 2020

Time

As sometimes happens, I was flipping channels and ran across Antiques Roadshow.  "Oh, I have one of those," or, "I wish I had one of those!"  Some of those dusty hidden treasures are incalculably valuable.  An item that caught my eye was a stereoscope.  When I was a little girl, we would visit my formidable Great-aunt Kate in Pomona.  I was thoroughly briefed on best behavior (every time).  After Great-aunt Kate (in my mind, that was all one word) was convinced I wasn't one of those kids, she allowed me to pick up a gorgeous conch shell to listen to the ocean, and let me look through her stereoscope.  I wonder how many now even know what a stereoscope is.  It was a piece of wooden equipment in which two identical photographs were placed side by side and produced what would now be called a 3D effect.  Don't ask me how it was done, I have no idea, but it was marvelous at the time.  Much later, when I had kids of my own, they came out with a small but similar "toy" called a View Master.  All TVs were black-and-white then, and my children were as fascinated by 3D as I had been.  Now, even the View Masters are antiques.  Time flies.

Evidently Nature gives the crows Sunday off.  I've been noting that the crows have the early shift, sounding off loudly like an alarm clock at first light (Wake up!  Get up!), then the turkeys take the evening duty, speaking in low tones when it's time (their time) to go to sleep at dusk.  This morning it was Team Turkey that gave the wake-up call and the crows were silent.  Ours is not to wonder why...but I do.

3 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

Well I'll be darned. We had a stereoscope and I MAY still have it in storage but I'm not sure. BUT, I just now learned that my mom was calling it the wrong thing all these years. She called it a "stereopticon" but that is not the same thing. And yes we got a View Master when I was young, and I remember seeing photos of Disneyland, so it had to have been around the mid 1950s! Fun.

Kathryn Williams said...

Look what I just found on Wikipedia: "In 1951, Sawyer's purchased Tru-Vue, the main competitor of View-Master. The takeover eliminated the main rival and also gained Tru-Vue's licensing rights to Walt Disney Studios.[6] Sawyer's capitalized on the opportunity and produced numerous reels featuring Disney characters. The takeover paid off further in 1955 with reels of the newly opened Disneyland.[1]"

Unknown said...

Car Key Locksmith Phoenix
(623) 282-1260
Our reliable 24 hour emergency locksmith in phoenix, professional locksmiths and commitment to delivering high quality work at reasonable prices makes us the car key Phoenix AZ drivers turn to when they get locked out of their cars.
Our Services :
key fob programming
open car door
Car Door Lock Repair
Car Ignition Repair
Car door Repair
24 Hour Car Locksmith
keys locked in Car
Car Ignition Problems