Saturday, February 29, 2020

Herbalicious

Think Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" (1966). "Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" immediately popped into my head on our first walk of the day and I saw the now-enormous rosemary bush in full bloom.  It's hard to remember when this was a sprig in a two-inch pot to be planted in the front garden.

Oh, I had such plans.  I fairly haunted the few local nurseries looking for different herbs.  At one time there were a couple of varieties of (you guessed it) thyme, marjoram, betony...I can't even remember now how many different herbs there were.  I bought books on growing and using these kitchen staples.  There is sage down in the back yard, but I don't go there much anymore.  It also has a lovely purple flower.  Over time the deer laid waste to the herb garden, and what they didn't eat, drought years decimated.  All that is left now is the rosemary bush, some straggly marjoram plants, and what has to be called pitiful, persistent thyme.  Oh well.

Mike came by yesterday to replace a couple of defective boards on the deck.  It's a good thing he came when he did because rain is predicted for tonight, and that is also a good thing.  This month was the driest February in history up here.  We need the water.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I talked to Tinka tonight and she was bemoaning the fact, and shocked, that she has to water her huge yard, IN FEBRUARY! While we were talking, I looked up her weather on the phone and saw that over night the chance for the area, and yours too, I imagine, had from 30 - 60 percent chance of rain over a 10 or so hour time period. Crossing my fingers that it materializes.