Saturday, February 15, 2020

See Something, Say Something

Obviously, my coffee had not yet kicked in yesterday because there was/is a glaring error in the first sentence.  I have left it as is for illustration (I could edit it and you'd never know), and it is said that confession is good for the soul.  I meant to give tribute to the old-time comedy team of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, but the brain slipped a cog and it came out "Oliver and Hardy."  Not a good way to start the day (but the spelling was correct).

It was Arden Friday.  What to serve?  What to serve?  I haven't made bread in eons.  Back in the day, I made bread of all kinds, even developing homemade sourdough yeast.  I made bread by hand for years.  Kneading dough is very therapeutic, and good exercise.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought a bread machine years later, but found it's another servant who works quickly and takes very little effort on my part, right up there with the dishwasher and the washing machine.

With next to nothing in the house and knowing Arden does little-to-no cooking these days, maybe a loaf of warm bread might suffice.  I dragged the machine out of retirement and stood there trying to decide what kind of bread to make.  Cheese bread is good, but I had no cheese.  Same with olives.  Checking the recipe, I found I did have all the ingredients for pumpernickel, one of my favorites.  It would have to do.  Even with the bread maker, pumpernickel takes a bit of doing because there so many little this's and that's that go into the dough.  Handy hint for the day:  spray the cup with vegetable spray before measuring molasses and the syrup will just pour out.

With the machine whirring, I went in to catch up on dusting.  Arden is pre-punctual (she comes early).  If an error in the blog is noted, say something.  If you see dust in my house, say nothing.  The bread went over big-time.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

LOL...I have dust, but less than you because I am much more paved than you, and believe it or not, this proof reader did not even NOTICE Oliver and Hardy.