Thursday, March 12, 2020

All Downhill

Another warm, beautiful morning.  The Baby Blue Eyes are blooming, though not in such great numbers as in the past.  I wonder why.

PG&E, in an attempt to be proactive, have work crews out in this area taking down trees that might endanger power lines if they fell.  They've worked for weeks along Camille's property and up along this road.  Yesterday the guys were up on Irish Acres (just across from me), and I've been contacted.  They'll be taking out one pine and a number of cedars along my fence line.  I don't like losing trees, but I don't want to be the cause of a fire, either.  There is no charge and they will take away everything, everything but the large cedar trunks which Mike wants for his mill.
Michael was very interested in the sound of chainsaws and men yelling back and forth.  That gave me time to get a shot of the plum trees in frothy white bloom in the back/front yard.  (I know, it's confusing.)  Neither of us was in a hurry to go back in the house, me especially because I knew what was coming.

It was all downhill from there.  We made a couple of quick stops first.  Under the circumstances, I would have avoided Wally World like the plague (yeah, poor choice of words), but had to pick up medication so there was nothing for it but to go.  Camille had given me handy hints on how to avoid touching anything others had touched, using the wipes provided for the carts.  Problem:  there were no wipes.  "We might get more after the 24th."  There was a big sign at the pharmacy:  "We have no wipes, no masks, and no sanitizer."  There was, however, a long line.  Michael gave up and laid down.  I wished I could join him.  That was nothing compared to the checkout lines.  Cashiers were in short supply and carts were loaded.  Deb had told me that Costco in Woodland was completely sold out of toilet paper and water   Why hoard toilet paper?  Oh well.

We had one more stop, the auto parts store, to look for rodent repellent.  No, they didn't have any, but suggested cotton balls saturated with rubbing alcohol, and leave the hood open.  We'll see.  Michael and I were both exhausted when we got home.  He had a snack and went right to sleep.  I brought in my purchases and collapsed.  Thankfully (hopefully), we won't have to go to town again for a couple of weeks.  Whew.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

My daughter in law asked me a week ago Monday if I would go to Costco, as I'm the one with the card. I went at about 11:30 and by the time I got to the "paper goods" room the HUGE supply of toilet paper was gone and it seemed the paper towels and water were going fast. I was not planning to hoard the TP but just buy them one of the huge bundles. I did, however, see a gal with a TP bundle in her cart, so there had been some earlier. Then, later that day, while browsing Facebook, it seemed to hit the fan, and several others, from different areas and states, were reporting the run on TP at Costcos in particular. It just happened...all of a sudden, on March 9. I can pin point it. Several have asked WHY, but I know now that it is all about "supply chain" or fear of being quarantined. I do find it at conundrum that there have been only 13 deaths in this country outside of the one Nursing Home related deaths in Washington, and many, many, many more from the H1N1 of a decade ago, and yet things are shutting down and being cancelled right and left here as I type this. Hmmmm...one day at a time and "we shall see," seem to be the phrases of the day. At least you would rather stay home than go to town! Glad you don't have to leave any time soon!