Thursday, March 26, 2020

Trippin'

That six degrees of separation thing is real.  I went to school with Sandye, Sandye became the sister-in-law of Kit, Kit is the niece of Tinka, Tinka sold property to Florence and Dan.  Somehow the circle got connected and now everybody knows everybody and they've all shown up here in the blog at one time or another.

Yesterday Tinka and I were talking.  It turned out she grew up in Altadena.  I was born in Altadena.  We both shopped the same stores on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.  I went to high school in the hills above Pasadena.  We went tripping down memory lane together.  "Did you ever...?"  "Of course I did!"  Tinka and I are close in age and we both grew up in the war and postwar years in the 1940s.  We talked about the many truck farms in our neighborhoods that stood fallow when Japanese-Americans were were sent to internment camps.  My parents were older and had come through the Great Depression with habits that were hard to break.  Tinka's family and mine had cans of bacon grease hoarded under the sink to fry chicken and potatoes...wouldn't want to waste that fat when we couldn't get butter.  Think store shelves are empty now?  My mother had a ration book issued by the Government and had to think twice about going shopping...did she have enough points to buy meat?  It seems that what goes around, comes around.

I have to go to town today.  Truth be told, I'd rather take another trip down memory lane.

Be well.  Stay safe.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Well THAT was indeed a fun trip! You were born in Altadena? Well cool! I, too, lived there, but was too young to remember. I THINK I lived there when the big snows hit in early January of 1949, but I was not quite 2, so I have no memory of that. Another parallel is that you and Tinka were both the second daughters who had sisters that were 16 and 15 years older and with no siblings in between. And they lived through the Depression, but were young women when World War ll ended. The 6 degrees is so fascinating, and this one is so easy to connect.