Monday, March 23, 2020

Oh Joy!

Saturdays are for cooking shows.  Sundays are for sports, those few sports in which I have an interest:  NASCAR, football, and horse racing.  Almost all events have been cancelled due to the virus.  The Kentucky Derby has been "postponed" until September.  Facing a day of interminable Sudoku games on my cellphone, imagine my surprise when I saw "America's Day At The Races" on TV.  How and what could that be?  Well, it turned out to be wonderful!  Without a person in the stands, horse races were still held across the country and were televised back to back from here, there, and everywhere with few-to-no breaks all day.  Horse racing is an expensive sport and precautions taken for all personnel (and the horses) were explained and, I'm sure, followed.  I didn't miss the hoopla and commentary of racing at a single track at all.  For a race fan, it was like hitting the Trifecta.

While walking Michael in the morning, Clay had sent me a text asking if I was watching NASCAR.  I'd heard there was something called "eye racing," (that's how I heard it), but had no idea what it was.  He said it was "better than nothing."  I'd set it to DVR, but then got involved with the horses.  Later in the day, I pulled it up.  Turns out it was "iRacing," some kind of simulation game.  Not being a gamer, I can't begin to explain it.  Real, well-known drivers, sitting home alone in some kind of device, "drove" their cars on a realistic track, in constant communication.  There were flats, wipe outs, pit time, etc.  The guys were having great fun.  Let's just say it's not my cuppa.

It was a good day.  Stay well, be safe.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

So glad you got the horse racing, and I agree, the electronic iRacing would not be my choice even if I were a NASCAR follower.