Thursday, December 13, 2018

Bright Spot

Take my advice.  If you have to drive into P'ville from Fair Play, go by one o'clock and come back by three if you want to miss the traffic, traffic being a relative term.  I came from southern California and the valley and well remember being stuck in bumper-to-bumper capital-T Traffic, but five cars going in the same direction up here is little-t traffic as far as I'm concerned now.  I hit that sweet spot between the lunch crowd and the after-work people, and it was lovely to have the roads (almost) to myself on the way to visit the vampire.

I've always had lab work done at the hospital, so it was a surprise when the nice lady told me I should have gone to "The Lab" in town.  Well, I would have had someone told me.  "Oh, well.  As long as you're here."  Then she couldn't find the doctor's order on the computer.  Crum.  The gal who was so insistent on having the work done by today had not sent it in.  Did I say I had a problem with communication in that office?  After a lengthy phone call, it all got straightened out and I was sent upstairs.

Those who work in the laboratory must feel like the Forgotten People, stuck away in the farthest reaches of the building.  Even the elevator is well hidden down long corridors and around many corners.  I hadn't been given a road map and was wending my way when a doctor passed and asked, "Are you lost?"  "No, I always look this way."  Upstairs wasn't any better, but I really felt I should have left a trail of breadcrumbs so I could get back out again.  Finally at my destination, there was a short wait for the phlebotomist (Vampira) to call me in.  "Can you tell me your name and birthdate?"  "Yes."  There was a pause while I enjoyed the look on her face and then told her.  She was very good at her job and had vial after vial filled in no time.

I had a couple of other stops planned so as not to waste a trip to town, but I was so happy to get back to Truck, on his own he headed home as soon as I started the engine.  Well, who was I to say he was wrong?

There are always a few bright spots.  I was home again, and then received a call from Larry...always a joy.  Sunset was undeniably a bright spot.  And the day was done.

No comments: