Friday, December 7, 2018

The Darndest Thing

Ralph takes dental care very seriously.  There are mini-blinds in many of the windows, and ever since he came here he has used the pull cords as dental floss.  I was worried at first that he would chew through them, but no, he just runs them through his teeth.  With the onset of cold weather, I dug out a heavy, hooded, sweatshirt jacket.  The hoodie has the added benefit of keeping rain drips from the barn roofs from going down my neck.  Ralph likes it because the "floss" has a different flavor.

As I was going down to the barn the other day, I noted a large number of big birds in the pen and up in the dead tree.  Unless they're getting a drink of water from the trough, vultures aren't usually pedestrians.  These were turkeys and by count there were over fifty!  It was the darndest thing because of so many turkeys in the tree.  Just as vultures don't walk around, turkeys only fly when alarmed.  I guess I was alarming because the entire flock took off at once when I entered the pen.  Unlike the whump-whump of vulture wings, turkeys kind of clatter when they fly.

Grass in the goat pen is up an inch now.  If we get another sunny day like yesterday, I think I'll be able to get John Not-So-Dear out and put him to work on the star thistle in the west field.  One can hope.

No comments: