Sunday, December 2, 2018

Playing Games

Nature is playing a game.  The layout was basically the same yesterday, and then she tweaked the rules.  Rain and wind, yes, but it rained harder and the wind was stronger and lasted longer.  Sunshine in the afternoon, yes, but briefly.  Rain again at night, but guess what I found on the deck this morning.  If you said a dusting of snow, you're a winner.

Normally, I wait until after barn chores to light a fire on chilly days, but it was so cold yesterday morning that it was first on the list.  Now, I realize I'm talking California cold, not New England cold, but it never got into the 40s and this morning we're in the 20s.  To this born-and-bred Californian, that's cold.  Stove struggled valiantly to heat the house, but wasn't as effective as one could hope.  The wood rack supply was dwindling and I was getting worried, waiting for the rain to stop so I could replenish.  Finally!  Bess and I dashed out to bring a couple more wagon loads to the porch so I could keep Stove fed.  Bessie stood on the doorstep, wondering why I was taking so long...she wanted back in the house.  Now!

I had dug ditches down at the barn to let the pools of water drain.  The play yard stayed dry and of course I left the gate open so the girls could shelter during the day.  Sheila is usually the first one in at night, but last evening she got stubborn.  Tessie was more than happy to go to her room, but Sheila was playing a waiting game.  I coaxed, I threatened, I waited.  I waited until I couldn't wait any longer.  "Okay, girlie, you aren't going to like it, but you leave me no choice."  I left the play yard gate open for her, said goodnight, and went to put the chickens to bed.  Unfortunately, one of the Delaware hens had died, whether of age or the cold, or a combination, I don't know.  Stanley's harem is dwindling.

Ralph is sitting on my lap, warming his toes, making typing difficult and Celeste is wandering the hall, crooning to a piglet.  She found the pink piglet I'd been saving for her and it's her new favorite.  Bessie Anne is asleep on the bed, snoring softly.  All's right in my world.  (But a full day of sunshine wouldn't hurt.)

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

It may not be New England cold, but I'm guessing a New England house built when yours was might have different or more heat sources??? You are one brave woman. I am a true weather wimp because of where I have lived.