Wednesday, December 5, 2018

It's Final

Wow!  It's never happened before that the family reached a consensus in just one day about when to have Christmas, but it happened yesterday, for real.  Our jingle bells will ring on December 29, which gives me another week to procrastinate.  I've given a thought or two to putting the Christmas tree together, but haven't followed through yet.  It could happen.

The property directly across the road has been for sale for some time now.  In the last week someone has been taking advantage of the wet ground to clear and burn some of the underbrush.  I worried when I first heard a chainsaw that another of my trees had gone down, but realized it was farther away.  A guy was working there yesterday, so when Bess and I were taking the trash down I pulled across the road to say hi.  It turned not to be a new owner, but a fellow hired to clean up the property so the realtor could show it.  There might be some flat ground over the crest, but it's pretty much a steep hill on this side.  Grant is a retired firefighter, hence the care in lighting a burn pile.  He took the job because retirement can be boring for an active guy.  I told him that if he got bored again, I could use some help with my woods and he said he'd come take a look one day.  Nice guy.

Rain held off and the heavy cloud cover actually made the day warmer, warm being a relative term.  Stove didn't have to work so hard and I could conserve firewood.

Deb and Craig are back from Hawaii and it was so good to talk with her again.  They got to do all of the touristy things like going to a luau and touring the U.S.S. Missouri (the Arizona was temporarily closed).  They also had several meetings with Larry and his girlfriend and meet a number of Larry's friends.  He threw them a lavish barbecue on the beach.  It must have been hard to leave the beautiful Hawaiian weather and come back to cold and grey skies.

Sheila and Tess are almost back to normal.  At least Sheila wanted to have her head rubbed again.  That's her new thing when we're walking up to the gate in the morning.  She won't let me close it until she gets her ears scratched.  She's been too distracted lately.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I'm so glad that Deb and Craig had a good time. It's pretty hard not to have a good time in Hawaii, but things can always come up. I thought about you last night as they advertised a "Creosote Sweeping Log" and I just Googled it and found it. Supposedly you burn it every 60 times you fire up "Stove" and it cleans out the creosote from the chimney? I have NO idea how well it works, but if it does, it might be a great invention.