Tuesday, December 18, 2018

That's The Way

The rain continued until just before sunrise yesterday and it turned into an absolutely gorgeous day.  The song on my mental jukebox was "That's The Way, Uh-huh Uh-huh, I Like It" (KC and The Sunshine Band, 1975) from back in the disco days.  I'd been thinking about where I could put down feed for the chickens so they wouldn't get soaked and how to deal with goats that wouldn't want to come out at all.  Not to worry, by chore time it was sunny, bright, and dry.  That's one thing about our decomposed granite soil, rain filters through dirt like water through coffee grounds.

As for the chickens, when Craig installed the two-door system on the coop, I'd left the temporary single panel that Clay had cut leaning between the coop and the fence.  It gives shade, and would provide a relatively dry place for Stanley and the little girls in wet weather.  The goats couldn't wait to get outside into the sunshine (and I shut the play yard gate!).

Ralph and Celeste spent the day moving from one sunny spot to another for the warmth, and Bessie Anne went outside any number of times to lie on the deck.  Rain had filled the birdbath and big and little birds were fluttering and having fun.  Evidently they prefer a bath to a shower.  The Steller's jays are back, flashing their brilliant blue and yelling.  I wonder where they go in the summer.

Rain is so much easier to deal with when it comes and goes in the night.  That's the way I like it.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Yes, rain at night and sun during the day is the way that I would design it. It's funny, I'm in South America and your blog comes up in English as usual, but your "followers" says "Seguidores!"