Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Hurry Up And Wait

If the day before was slow, yesterday crept by at a snail's pace.  Well over four hours waiting in the emergency room is not my idea of a rousing good time.  Fortunately I'd had the sense to put a book in the truck.  Time to read is never wasted. 

The minions poked this, prodded that, and ran tests, and then I waited for the Grand Poobah.  The doctor was actually a very nice young man (they're all so young these days) who, when he flipped back the blanket said, "Ooh, would you look at that!"  Turns out the blushing elephant leg is the result of a massive infection.  Now where the heck did that come from?  Young Dr. Kildare (Lew Ayres, 1942) would have preferred that I stay overnight for an infusion of antibiotics, but with animals waiting at home, that just wasn't going to happen.  He and I settled for a couple of pills.  I have to go back to town today to pick up a prescription for more.  Oh well.

When finally released, I raced for the truck like, as my dad would have said, a cat with turpentine under its tail.  About five miles from the house, the dark skies opened up and rain pounded down.  Gosh, it was good to get home.  I so appreciate the concern of family and friends.

No comments: