Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A Star Is Born

(A Star Is Born, 1937, Janet Gaynor, Fredric March; 1954, Judy Garland, James Mason; 1976, Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson; and other more recent remakes not worth mentioning.)

"I'm ready for my closeup."  Gloria Swanson's line from Sunset Boulevard, 1950, with William Holden.  This shot shows GB's reverse raccoon eyes with the dark eyeliner and the long, long hair over his ears. 

GB is a star in his own right.  He is a people magnet wherever he goes.  Yesterday we went to the "cookie store."  For a little country store, it was rush hour and there were at least eight people in line.  Bess had always stayed in the truck, but I took GB in on a leash.  The boxes of free milk bones (three sizes) had been moved to the front, right by the waiting line.  I took the usual two (mediums) and put them in my pocket.  Where other dogs might have helped themselves, GB sniffed each box and then laid down.  "What a well-trained dog," said the man behind me.  "He is so well socialized."  It's not the first time a stranger has made such comments.  GB is widening my social circle.  GB came with some pretty fancy treats, so I wasn't sure he'd accept the plebeian offerings that were Bessie's joy.  I stuck to my usual routine and gave him one milk bone as soon as we got home.  I needn't have worried, he ate that one in the driveway and then the second one in the house.

I called Florence last evening to see if there was some command that GB might understand to stop him from going down the driveway.  There wasn't.  He is telling me he'd like to go outside now and I hate to tell him to hold it, but he's going to have to wait until I'm through at the computer.  I'm getting more exercise these days, for sure, and earlier.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I think you and GB both won the lottery with each other. Could you follow him one day when he goes down the driveway to see if he automatically stops at the end of your property? He seems to be pretty smart and maybe he just instinctively knows his boundaries.