Monday, July 22, 2019

And Then...

Filled with enthusiasm, vim and vigor, and jazzed with caffeine, I went out at 7 a.m. (first light) to climb aboard Fu Manchu and get at least the west field mowed down.  Yup, all the familiar levers and pedals, choke and throttle just as I remembered.  What I did not consider was that the guys had given him an overhaul and that Fu would not need the few pumps of the choke that I gave him as I used to.  I turned the key, Fu gave a strangled gurgle, and then...nothing.  Click.  Click.  Nothing.  I had flooded the carburetor and we weren't going anywhere.  Sigh.  Nothing for it but to let poor old Fu recover on his own.  What a waste of a lovely cool morning.  Ah well, Scarlet, tomorrow is another day.

I watched a movie yesterday, A Dog's Purpose (2017), in which a dog goes through several transitions (too much to explain here) and owners and his confusion in different settings.  It's something I worry about with GB.  Does he ask himself what had he done to get left with this slow-moving, do-nothing old gal, I wonder.  I do lavish him with affection and give treats left and right (not too many), but does he long for someone to run with?  Crum, I won't even let him go across the road.  He seems to accept that he can run down and inspect the woods on my property in the fenced area while I'm tending to chores.  I know he does this because he comes back loaded with the burrs and stickers that are down there.  I hope that's enough for his adventurous soul.  It certainly guarantees a good brushing.  I know that he is a great comfort to me and I hope that is enough for GB.

While out in the cool of morning yesterday, I was astounded to see literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of dragonflies over the goat pen and west field.  They flashed colors in the rising sunlight as they zoomed back and forth.  Not only are they wondrous to watch, they eat all sorts of the bad insects.  Help yourselves, everyone!

Well, it is another day and I hope that Fu has recovered.  We'll give it another go this morning.  Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Can't wait to see if you and Fu were victorious!