Saturday, July 6, 2019

Shining Star

I find that many of my conversations lately are paeans to GB.  He is simply an astounding animal and my shining star.  I have yet to find any behavioral flaw.  Arden came over yesterday (I dusted) and once again GB was a gracious host.  He seemed to know that Arden is a dog person and a soft touch for a belly rub.  "Oh, I'm not close enough?  Here, let me flop over closer to your chair so you don't have to reach so far."  (He's very accommodating.)  Since GB found out he was not going to get to play with the goats, he has completely lost interest in them.  The girls, on the other hand, snort "Wolf!" if they see him in the yard.  Smart dog that he is, he stays in the shade in the driveway while I hike down to feed Missy.  When I come back, it's a race back to the porch.  He runs, looking back over his shoulder to see if he's ahead.  Since I move at my usual snail's pace, it's hardly surprising that he always wins.  That's okay, it's good for his ego.

Speaking of Missy, I wonder if I've caused her to have a species identity crisis.  I use two small plastic containers for her food in the barn, two so I can alternate and not run out.  Recently both tubs were empty at the same time and I brought them back to the house to refill.  My mind was obviously elsewhere as I scooped up her kibble because when I took them down the next day I discovered I'd brought her dog food.  Sorry, little girl, but it's what you're going to get today because I'm only good for one trip a day to the barn.  I needn't have worried, because her bowl was empty the next day.  Maybe she liked the variety, who knows.  At least I haven't heard her bark yet.

Coming back from the store the other day, as I turned into my drive a forked-horn buck ran across and into the front pasture.  Where they used to come out in droves, now it is so rare to see even one it took my breath away.

Because of GB's calm demeanor, Ralph now comes into the living room and even sits on my lap at times.  I've missed my goofy redheaded kid.

Well, the sun is coming up and my coffee mug is empty.  It's time to get on with the day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like you and all the 4-leggers are settling into a nice "new normal!" I will know you have made it when Ralph and GB start racing around the house!