Saturday, July 20, 2019

Red Letter Day

It was a good day, start to finish.  Neighbor Joe brought up, yes, more wood.  It was the last of the batch and I can't imagine how glad he is that that job is done.  He also brought back up the refurbished splitter and tucked it back into his shed.  Joe, like Steve, felt that if you borrow something, you return it in the same or better condition; in this case, better.

After the escapade of the night before, I called Florence to ask if there was some command that GB would know that would stop him from taking off like that.  No such luck.  Sigh.

I had to make a run up to Holiday (one place GB can't go) for supplies and got back just in time to set out the munchies for our Friday afternoon soiree.  Arden is a regular, but yesterday we were joined by Camille!  Cam hasn't been here in maybe over a year.  Chemo and radiation had left her immune system compromised.  Gosh, it was good to spend time with our friend.  GB was his usual hit, and Cam fell for him, too.

In the meantime, Joe washed and inspected John No-So-Dear, because John will be moving to his new quarters today.  Dave and his buddy are bringing back Fu Manchu, and, boy, will I be glad to see Fu and say goodbye to John.  That was one relationship that was never going to work.  After another long day of hard work, I'll bet Joe couldn't wait to see the sun go down (and probably the last of this place).

After the ladies had gone, I discovered one had left her purse here.  It turned out to be Cam's, so GB and I drove down to return it.  He got to meet Cam's three German shepherds, Honey, Sammi, and Bud Man.  Had GB not lived with two huge Scottish deer hounds, he might have been overwhelmed.  After the obligatory sniff-and-greet, GB seemed to have passed muster.  Cam and I made arrangements for a play date for him and his new friends.

I received a letter so sweet it made me cry from, I guess it would be GB's "brother," the son of GB's prior mom.  I gave him a quick call to say thank you.

My niece in New Hampshire called to tell me that the first fireflies had made their appearance, something I've never seen.  They must be magical.

If yesterday was a red-letter day, today I will be over the moon.  Not only are Dave and probably Jester coming up, Deb and Craig will joining us.  Knowing that the temperatures are due to soar soon, I probably won't see the Kids again until Thanksgiving.  I intend to make the most of it.

No comments: