Sunday, May 10, 2020

Speed

Easter was cancelled this year.  Phooey.  May (Mother's Day and my birthday month) has likewise been scratched.  Double-phooey!  As my son Dave said, "If we're going to keep pulling pages off the calendar, this year is going to fly by!"  I really, really miss my Kids.  I miss their great hugs, the talking, laughing, and teasing.  I miss cooking for them, some new recipes, but mainly dishes from their childhood and/or traditional holiday meals.  I love the early Saturday mornings when Deb calls.  She's working at home now, but still has news from the outside world.  I have the same old, same old to offer, but I so enjoy hearing her voice.  This CVD isolation can't end fast enough for me.  I miss my Kids.

Nature gave us a preview of coming attractions this week with temperatures in the high 80s here and in the 90s down in the valley.  Yesterday I opened the doors in the laundry room and bedroom to allow any passing breeze to blow in (there weren't many).  It seems much cooler this morning, so we may be getting a slight reprieve.  I'm not looking forward to summer.

My neighbor Bruce, a chef in his own right, and his wife Annie now have a food truck that they operate on the weekends.  They mainly serve gyros, but have started offering a full, three-course meal that must be preordered.  Camille has taken advantage of this and had asked me if I wanted her to pick up a dinner yesterday.  Well, sure!  "The Dinner Station" is certainly filling a need for those who can't go out to eat now, and the food is really good.

I haven't been brave enough to discover what the buzzing is by the woodpile.  I don't move fast enough anymore to escape should whatever they are take exception to my presence.  Michael's fear of stingers is rubbing off.

Together or apart, Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, mamas, and moms out there.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I love the idea of the food truck, and I don't blame you for avoiding the buzzing. That sounds like a job for a helper dude. And HAPPY Mother's Day to you, too, and what a bummer that when you have a rather monumental birthday, it is a bust. We decided to be smart but see each other today, and yes the hugs have to be missed, but my younger son and 2 children (their mom got to do stuff with other moms alone...big treat now that they are with kiddos all the time), with whom I have been able to be in closer contact just lately, and I drove an hour north, and my older son drove a bit farther but south, and we all met their aunt in a park, in the sunshine and breeze, and sat at least 6 feet apart and had a wonderful picnic (each brought his or her own food just in case) and spent several hours having a great time catching up. There were probably 10 other families in the park but we were about 15-20 yards away from each other so no one was even close. And my older son lives with his lady friend and her 83 year old mom, so he chose to keep a mask on even outdoors in the breeze. So we were safe and healthy but got to see each other and it was heavenly. Once we all said goodbye, my little group found a Burger Lounge and my son ordered and then we set up shop on 2 folding chairs and 2 beach towels in the shade on the sidewalk of the closed strip mall. It was NOT fancy, but it was tasty and we were all by ourselves enjoying an impromptu meal. I know you can't hug them and I know you might not want to cook for them...but could they come up for an outdoor picnic in the shade????