Saturday, May 16, 2020

Trade Off

After imbibing all that caffeine yesterday, I fully expected to zip and zoom, but no.  I was my same old plodding self.

George is rubbing off on Florence, and I am the lucky recipient.  She arrived, not only with the promised blue cheese, but grocery bags laden with goodies and a bouquet of roses.  The one thing that alleviates my guilt is that they go shopping in a store that has unbelievably low prices, e.g., the ten pounds of mozzarella was a whopping fifty cents.  This time there was a tub of Italian pasta salad that will have me saying Mama Mia for a week!

I was hoping Florence would take more flower pots.  Those she picked out hardly made a dent.  However, she has her eye on another one.  It's not going anywhere while she decides if it is a necessity.  She knows where to find me.

I was able to trade her some cuttings from the overgrown wisteria vine.  I haven't pruned it for some years now, and it has grown so large and heavy it is breaking down the wire fencing around what used to be the vegetable garden prior to the drought.  It's gorgeous when it blooms, but, like the lilacs, it has a short flowering season.  I also convinced her to dig up some of the marjoram, a subset of oregano, but milder.  It, like so much in the front herb garden, has grown rampant over the years.  It has the tenacity of a weed, but it's pretty and useful.  It also puts out purple flowers toward the end of summer, and it thrives on neglect.

I went back to making coffee as per my usual morning routine today.  Since the extra caffeine failed to provide the hoped-for results, no need for further experimentation, planned or not.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad you are getting bags of food. Yum. My neighbor and I share her wisteria. At one time it grew up her carport posts but then her mobile home was replaced and the wisteria on the posts was no more, but a great deal of it remained on the gentle slope of the 6 foot area between our properties. You are right that the blooms don't stay long, but the greenery transforms our hill for a lot longer, and it is in full leaf now, and the tendrils that it puts out are never ending and seem to grow overnight. I am letting it spread in one direction, but in 3 others I need to tame it, so I have clippers at the ready.