Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Carded

No, I haven't started hanging out in bars, and if a bartender asked to see my ID at my age, I'd have to recommend he get his eyes checked, but I was carded yesterday.  I got a Christmas card!  I hope Cousin Sandy has stock in Hallmark.  Because of her, they stay in business.  (I got a card at Thanksgiving, too.)  I start smiling when I see her name on the envelope at the mailbox, and grin when I open the card at home.  It's like getting a long-distance hug.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, before texts, emails and IMs, Christmas cards announced the season and were a way to send greetings and love, sometimes to those we contacted only once a year.  I would buy a couple boxes of 50 each and start signing and addressing the day after Thanksgiving, usually adding a letter or note, too.  When I started this tradition, stamps were a whopping 4 cents.  Now they're up to 55 cents each and I don't send cards anymore.  Received cards have always been taped to the kitchen cupboard doors, giving a festive touch to a room that's difficult to decorate otherwise.  There were years when I'd run out of space, now...well, I fear Sandy's card may be pretty lonely.  As with so many things, that was then, this is now.

Christmas is coming early to Farview!  I got a text from Deb yesterday, saying that Craig was going shopping at Costco and did I need anything.  I did a quick inventory and decided there wasn't anything I couldn't do without, saving them over an hour's drive to get here.  "How about such-and-such?  Couldn't you use some of this or that?"  "Wel-l-l, maybe one or two of those."  I had an ulterior motive...I've only seen my dear ones for a half-hour this entire year.  Hey, they offered!  Regardless of the date, I'll celebrate Christmas this weekend, outside and at a distance.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: