Thursday, December 24, 2020

Record Setting

They just kept coming and coming!  Michael and I stepped out in the morning and a few turkeys were walking across the front yard.  We stopped out of courtesy to give them the right of way, and then more came.  And more.  It was a parade of thirty-four! and there were no stragglers.  These guys were in close-order march formation.  My jaw dropped.  I've never seen a flock (rafter) so large ever.  Where did they come from?  Where were they going?  What was the plan?  The 13 or so vultures present were pretty interested, too, and Michael stood stock-still.

It's Christmas Eve, and, like Scrooge, I am visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past.  I am happy to see this wraith because he will be my only visitor this year, this damnable year.  Waiting for the coffeemaker to do its thing this morning, I remembered holidays when the Kids were little and those more recent Christmases when we were all together.  I have a feeling these memories will rush in all day, and welcome they will be.

Coffee in a mug doesn't stay hot long in a frigid room.  The sun is just lighting the sky and it's time to get moving.  Merry Christmas, however it is for you this year.

Stay safe.  Be well.


1 comment:

Emmy said...

A singles holiday for those of us who remember children, holiday baking, opening presents and music.
Well, we still have the music.
Sometimes I wish I were one of the millions who never celebrate Christmas...

So have a quiet day tomorrow and fill it with good memories and eats.
And a better next year.