Sunday, December 6, 2020

My Cup Runneth Over

A couple of hours can make your whole day, and my day yesterday was better than great.  The Kids arrived midmorning and I think Michael was as excited as I to see their truck drive up.  The cats, of course, ducked into the bedroom, not to be seen again for the duration.  Deb and Craig, masked and gloved, started unloading supplies and this time brought them into the house.  They were coming in anyhow for light bulb duty.  Not only did they replace the burned-out bulbs, they changed others that were growing dim.  Holy cow!  What a difference.  Let there be light!  The new ones are LEDs and the kitchen is now so bright I could perform surgery in there.  It actually startled me the first time I flipped a switch.  As I told Deb, airplanes could use them as runway lights.  The rest of their too-short visit took place on the porch.  Craig, dear man that he is, filled the rack with wagon after wagonload of firewood.  I'm darned near set for the winter.

I'm greedy and wanted more of their company, but coming up took a big chunk of their weekend.  They both work and time is precious.  I'm just grateful for what they could spare.  No goodbye hugs, but lots of 'I love you's' as they drove away.

After they'd gone, I came in to see what all they'd brought.  Staples like toilet paper, yes, and canned goods, yes, but also a beautiful poinsettia for the holidays (my only decoration).  I'll have to find a place for it out of Ralph's reach.  Deb is such a traditionalist.  She'd included a box of See's candy "from Grandpa and me."  My dad has been dead for forty years, and never once has my daughter forgotten.  The virus wasn't going to change that.  I put the box in the cupboard and won't bring it out until Christmas.

That's the only self-control of which I was capable.  I'd thought to have the yakisoba for dinner, but knowing it was in the freezer was too much and it was lunchtime, after all.  Oh man, it hit the spot.  The Kids had included a carton of chickpea masala, also delicious, and I'll save that for another day.

I'm not looking forward to the power outage tomorrow.  I am glad for the warning as it gives me time to make sure all bowls and troughs are filled with water.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I'm SOOO glad you got to visit. My close loved ones have been my saving grace, and because I'm an integral part of their child care so they can continue to work, so we interact all the time. I've only seen my other son 4 times and always at a park, but it is MUCH better than not at all.