Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Time Out

During the Vietnam War (can you believe now that they called it a 'conflict'?), newspapers published the names of the casualties daily, more and more each day.  As the mother of young sons, these unending lists tore my heart out.  Finally I couldn't take it anymore and quit.  I quit reading newspapers and quit watching news on TV.  There was nothing I could do about the war, so decided I would put all my energies into my family.

When the towers were hit on 9/11, I never left the television for two weeks solid, crying night and day for all the many affected.  And then I couldn't.  I didn't stop caring, but I did quit watching.

Between politics and Covid-19 this year, I was watching the news in mounting horror for four and five hours a day.  It wasn't healthy.  I knew it, and I knew how I was reacting.  I quit.  Sometimes, when faced with a situation over which there is no control, it's best to take a time out.

And that's where I am these days.  I walk with Michael.  We sit on the deck or porch in companionable silence.  We listen to the birds and watch leaves flutter in the breeze.  I laugh at Ralph as he runs zoomies through the house, and stroke Celeste as she claims her spot on my lap.  I catch a glimpse of local news only and watch old reruns.  Sometimes a time out is a good thing.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: