Thursday, December 10, 2020

Take A Deep Breath

Alternate title:  'All's Well That Ends Well.'

Okay, panic time is over.  The auto shop called yesterday and said the problem was the alternator, fixable, and at a cost that wouldn't send me to the Poor House.  Truck is a 1998, so these things are to be expected.  He's a good old work horse.  Had the circumstances been different, I might not have pushed the panic button so hard, but I'm not ashamed to admit I was shaken to the core.  I'll get him back today.  Whew!  Thanks for all the good wishes and offers of help...very much appreciated.

Given that I had time to calm down, yesterday was a pretty good day.  It was a little cooler, and sitting out on the deck in the sunshine at Michael's request felt good.  Doing nothing felt good.  I binge watched episodes of NYPD Blue.  That series came out in 1993, and, boy, the changes that have been made.  All the telephones were on cords.  There might have been one computer in the department, but all reports were handwritten.  They used walkie-talkies to communicate when out in the field.  It's like watching a time capsule.

Michael and I weren't the only ones appreciating the weather.  Eighteen vultures were on posts lining the goat pen, wings spread in that wonderful heraldic pose.  There were youngsters with black heads and the elders whose heads had turned red.  Even ornithologists have trouble determining gender.  They are huge, magnificent birds.  Knowing that we are no threat, they will let us get within a few feet before taking off, only to move to another post.  They call Farview home.

Among the goodies that Deb and Craig brought up was a bag (a bag!) of yams.  I sure don't want them to go to waste, so have had a baked yam every day this week.  Michael, who doesn't care for carrots, likes yams also, and he gets a few bites of my dinner.  Who knew?

After imagining the worst, and I did, and after the terrifying events of the day before, it was good to take a deep breath and spend a day calming down.  It was a good day.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw I'm so very glad that it ended so well and so relatively inexpensively!