Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Could It Be?

Regardless of this green view, it could be that we're out of the woods as far as the seemingly endless days of rain are concerned.  Oh sure, there are still some wet days in the forecast, but sporadic and not constant.  That's okay, it'll save me watering.

Obviously I was not the only one happy to see sunshine yesterday.  Ralph and Celeste soaked it up like furry sponges in the morning.  A cloud cover came and went, but it never got cold enough to call on Stove.

I had just finished paying bills (aarrgh!) in the afternoon when I heard and then saw a small tractor coming up the driveway.  ???  It was Beau, who had just finished working on the machine and wanted to see if it would run well.  Hey, I was happy to provide a testing ground.  He tootled around the west field, but then got serious and mowed down the front yard, the side yard where the clothesline is, and the slope down to the backyard.  Coming up and going back later, he cut the median strip on the driveway and whacked down the weeds by the fence line in front of the east meadow.  I had a cold beer and a couple of bucks waiting for him when he was done, in addition to my profuse gratitude.

You know you're not in the city anymore when you make a quick trip to the convenience store and you find yourself slowing to about five mph behind a tractor going down the road (he pulled off to let me pass).  I'd been laughing to myself when Beau and his tractor came up my drive, because it's not the "normal" mode of transportation, but then when I was up at Gray's Corner, another tractor pulled in to fill up with gas.  Up here, it is the norm.

Sunshine, the perfume of newly mown grass, yards I could actually walk through...hey, it was a good day!

No comments: