Tuesday, May 21, 2019

For A Change

How different it was doing barn chores yesterday.  Clouds, yes, but the white fluffy kind instead of the gloomy grey that have become the norm.  The girls were feeling frisky and ran and bucked ahead of me on the path.  Sheila enjoyed her alfalfa, while Tessie evidently goes by "the grass is greener on the other side" theory.

I can't remember the last time I sat out on the deck to soak up some sunshine.  Yes, I can.  It was while Bessie Anne was in her declining days; not going to dwell on that.  The front pasture and the slope down to the woods are blanketed with bright yellow patches of wild mustard, as if they'd been splashed with sunshine.
Some of the damage done by the winds.  The pine just off the deck took the brunt of it this time.  This is only one of the branches torn off.  Honestly, since this is all, I consider myself lucky.

There is a small garden patch in the back yard (front, actually, because the house faces away from the road) where I planted herbs, etc., years ago.  The sage is in bloom now.  That's green santolina next to it.  There is also a grey santolina down there.  In time they will be filled with yellow flowers.  Purely by chance, I chose plants the deer do not eat.  I certainly wasn't so lucky with the multitudinous flowers and bulbs I've planted over the years with nary a one to show for my efforts.  I can't see wasting money buying plants for the pots on the deck because Robert the Raider comes hunting every day, accompanied by a gang of youngsters,  all Bobbys, I guess.

I'm glad I took pictures of a sunny day because we're back to rain today, with more snow predicted in the mountains.  You'd sure never know we're so close to summer 'cause it sure feels like winter.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I was recently in Ohio and the mustard was dramatically beautiful, and it seems to be just in the fields that will soon become corn or soybeans. The mustard fields look like they were planned and planted that way. It has been too rainy for the farmers to get it plowed under and their crops planted...but soon!