Saturday, May 4, 2019

Remember When

In 2003, Alan Jackson wrote a great country/western song "Remember When."  The lyrics are not relevant here, but I'm stealing the title.

Remember when bottle and jar caps could be removed without a screwdriver and pliers?  When brown paper bags were all that were offered in the grocery store and they were free?  And we recycled them ourselves into book covers and to wrap packages.  Remember when dancing was a good excuse to hold your partner close?  When kids could play outside all day and parents didn't worry if they were out of sight?  Remember when Sunday drives were a real form of entertainment for the whole family?  We always stopped for an Orange Julius before heading home.  (Of course, that was before freeways.)  Remember when cars had individual characteristics and you could tell a Chrysler from a Chevy or a high-class Cadillac?  I could fill a page with all that has gone...just gone.

I avoided a visit to Vampire Hall yesterday as my numbers have improved.  Doc seemed pleased and has extended my trips from every three weeks to every three months, and that certainly pleases me.  I'd noticed on the way into town that a turn signal was acting wonky, so on the way home I stopped to have it looked at.  Light bulbs and a fuse were replaced, to no avail.  Turns out that brake light was also nonfunctioning.  Oh crum.  Back to "remember when."  I wasn't sure if there were any drivers out there who understood hand signals for turning.  They probably thought I was some crazy lady waving her arm out the window.  I have an appointment at the shop on Monday.  I'll get the air-conditioner repaired at the same time.  It got really hot yesterday and summer is just around the corner, and I'm a lady who likes her comfort.

The Kentucky Derby runs today, so I know what I'll be doing.  I remember when Derby Day was a good reason for a party.  Of course, we never needed a reason back then.

PS:  I was playing "remember when" with a cousin yesterday and she said, "Remember when there used to be large jars of huge, crunchy, sour dill pickles on store counters and they were a nickel each?  When's the last time you saw one of those?"  It's a good game for those of us of a certain age.  Feel free, as Emmy did, to join in!

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Whenever we went to deli in NYC, where I grew up, they handed me a slice of bologna or liverwurst...and always a free cone of mustard to go with meats.

“dem days are gone forever “.....
But it’s fun to recall them.

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah, the pickle jar. I remember when and where...Les and Don's Butcher Shop across from my grammar school (Washington) in San Gabriel. The pickles were huge and great but I'm not sure if they were a nickel or a dime. Never the less, I think I got one or two and ate on the way home from school, but I preferred sharing a popsicle with my BFF, Cathy, as it had 2 sticks and you just broke it apart. Better yet was a Big Hunk or a Look Bar. My mom bought the Barrel Pickles and we had them in the fridge...so no real need for me to buy one for after school as it was really too big for my grammar school appetite back then. Great memories. Skates and the metallic taste of the skate key...and jacks...and riding my bike down a quiet street...NOT holding onto the handle bars...oh, and knowing my grandmother had arrived in her Ford, as the "curb feelers" always announced her welcome arrival!!