Wednesday, March 7, 2018

And Another Thing...

I'm starting to feel like one of the characters in "The Cat In The Hat."  Thing One lives in the feed barn, It burrowed under the shed porch, and now Thing Two has shown up.  That mountain of dark-colored dirt appeared in the barn yesterday.  I can find no tunnel from where all this dirt was dug, and there are no footprints to help identify whatever did the excavation.  With all the ground squirrel, gopher, and mouse tunnels and mounds I've seen, I've never seen this much loose dirt thrown up, so this Thing must be pretty big.  Too big, I fear, for tiny little Missy to take on.  There is a difference between a mouser and a mooser.  I like a mystery, but I prefer one in the pages of a book.

Speaking of books, I finished "Beneath A Scarlet Sky," all 514 pages, yesterday in time to take Bess down to the cookie store for birdseed.  I'd finished my transaction, but had to go back in because I'd forgotten to pick up two (always two) cookies for my girl.  The look on her face!

I called Arden to tell her thanks for the loan, and she said she had another book she wanted me to read.  "NO!  I have to get something done around here!  Maybe soon, though."  No time spent reading is wasted, but even I have my limits.  The next best thing to turning pages for a reader is to discuss the book with someone.  Arden belongs to a book club, but I'm not a joiner and have declined her invitation.  I do enjoy talking books, however.

All the rain followed by warm days has really brought out the frogs.  Last evening I let Bessie out for a potty run and the frog chorus was in full voice.  We're due for more rain and I hope it doesn't dampen their spirits.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That pile of dirt looks like Things I and II have arms that are long enough to load, push, and dump a wheel barrow!!!