Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Tease

Dust ruffles are such a useful household decor item.  They're not just for hiding dust under the sofa or chair in this house.  In rainy weather (like today), when Bessie Anne comes in with a damp coat, she rubs along the ruffle, first one way and then the other, using it like a self-serve towel.  It was a busy day yesterday.  I needed to go into town while the roads were still dry and stock up on supplies for Clay's visit and St. Patrick's Day on Saturday.  Knowing that we were due for another wet week (thankfully with a break on Wednesday), bring more wood to the porch was on the list.  All that done, there was still time to fit in some reading.

While I was turning pages, I kept hearing little cat sounds.  Celeste was sitting quietly over by the pig- and book-filled chest, so it wasn't her.  Hmmm.  Then I saw the flick of a tail from under the dust ruffle.  Ralph was teasing, trying to get Celeste to join in a game of hide-and-seek, but not doing a very good job of hiding.  He reminded me of when the Kids were little and we'd play.  "Where's [Debbie]?  I can't find her (knowing exactly where she was)."  "Here I am, Mama.  I'm right here!"  Celeste ignored Ralph for a while and then succumbed, pouncing on the ruffle and making him jump.  She'd wait for him to move, then pounce again.  Having gotten his playmate involved, he came out and started a wrestling match.  Celeste outweighs Ralph by more than a couple of pounds and he rarely comes out on top, but the game is more important than winning.

Trip to town over and done, food in the cupboards and fridge, and wood on the porch.  It was a good day.  And I don't have to worry about entertaining the furry kids on a rainy day today.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Fun antics at Fairview Farm...and I'm glad you got stocked up. Green Beer???? :-)