Saturday, March 17, 2018

Off My Duff

It was another one of those mornings that had me wishing I raised hamsters instead of having goats to tend.  Cold?  I hope to shout it was cold, and pouring down rain, to boot.  The girls have the routine down pat by now and dashed around the barn into the big room when they'd finished breakfast.  I hurried back to the house to throw another chunk of wood to Stove.

After a day at the movies, it was time to get something done.  Laundry, dusting (yes, dusting), and general pick up to get ready for company today.  I fear, given the weather, that two thirds of my guests won't be coming.  We haven't yet gotten the predicted snow (yet), but I don't think Pete's low-slung muscle car is built for muddy, slushy roads, and I'm not sure Harold should be out in the cold, either.  I'd rather have them home safe and dry than taking chances.  Cam lives just a half-mile down and, unless it does snow, will probably brave it.  One thing about corned beef, it's every bit as good as leftovers.

Most of the wind had died down by daybreak yesterday, but it continued to rain all day, and there was one spell when hail battered the house.  So far, so good with the trees.  Nature does love to play tricks.  There was a break about sundown and I made it to the barn still dry.  With perfect timing, I was headed back to the house when she turned on the faucet.  "Ha ha, gotcha!"

Stove worked hard all day, and once I got off my duff, I got things done.  I'd say that was a good day.

No comments: