Monday, March 19, 2018

Bottom Of The Barrel

Most of the hail had melted by the time I went out to feed yesterday.  There were still pockets of ice in divots, squirrel holes, and in the shade, but it wasn't like walking on a skating rink.  The first order of the day always is to feed the birds.  The breakfast brigade was already waiting, the males of the tribe puffed up and strutting.  I had a surprise coming.

I've known for some time that critters had moved into the shed.  At first it was ground squirrels, but the last time Go-To Guy had been here he'd plugged the hole in the wall where they'd been getting in.  From all the destruction and the hole chewed in the birdseed lid, I figure the rats had moved from the feed barn to the condo, although I hadn't seen even one...until yesterday.  Removing the lid, I started to reach in for the scoop and there in the bottom of the barrel were two youngsters.  I don't know which of us was more startled.  I didn't have time to deal with them just then as I didn't want a turkey insurrection.  I got the birdseed, reaching cautiously past the panicked ratletts, and fed the birds.  I put the lid back on the barrel and went to do chores.

Crunching through the still-frozen grass to the barn, I fed the girls, noting that I was nearly at the bottom of the barrel for their chow and put that on the To-Do list for the afternoon (it was, after all, NASCAR Sunday).  I haven't seen evidence of moles (those barely subterranean tunnels) for years, but Missy had caught one of those tunneling machines, probably out in the pasture, and brought it into her room.  Evidently moles don't taste good because she'd left it there for a day.  I discussed this with Camille and Harold and we agreed; their cats don't eat moles, either.  Go figure.  I threw the little thing out in the field as an appetizer for the vultures.

Back at the house, I called Cam regarding the trapped ratletts.  She contacted the bobcat rescue lady, then came up and took barrel and all for a drop-off.  Hey, life on a farm isn't always pretty, but at least these little guys joined the circle of life, and I've got to do something about this infestation of destruction.

Later in the day, Two-Cookie Bess and I went down to Mt. Aukum for goat chow to fill the barrel and another salt block.  It was a rather eventful day.

No comments: