Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Good Luck

It was a lucky happenstance when Camille called and said she was going to Lockeford Meat & Sausage and did I need anything.  Need, no; want, yes!  Lockeford sausages are known far and wide up here as being the very best.  I'd seen a recipe on TV for Italian sausage and artichoke hearts in wine sauce that I thought sounded good, so asked for a half-pound of meat, and did she want to come for dinner.  It was a cold, really rainy day.  I had a fire going and did as much prep work ahead of time when Cam and Honey came in out of the wet.  Nick Stellino's recipe (he's one of my favorite TV chefs) was easy and quick, and it wasn't long before we sat down to eat a hot and hearty meal.  I think the sauce could have used a little more reduction, but that was my fault.  Since no measurements or times were given, it was guess and by-golly cooking, and good luck that it turned out well.  I'm so glad that Camille is a willing guinea pig and happy to try something new with me.

It rained throughout the night (again).  I hope it lets up today because Clay is bringing a load of firewood.  I'm desperate for the oak he brings as I'm down to only cedar in the woodpile.  Cedar is great for getting a fire going.  It burns hot and fast and doesn't leave much ash, but it doesn't last long for sustained heat.  Stove gobbles it up like candy.

The other Kids would say that Clay is racking up the "Good Son" points, and I'm happy to put a gold star by his name.  His only reward is a hot meal, and I'll be making White Chili for him.  It's a recipe I love and have been hungry for.  This is my lucky week, for sure.  Cam last night, Clay today, and Pete, Camille, and Harold are coming for corned beef and cabbage (no green beer) on Saturday.  I'm in cook's heaven.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like a great week - you must have hit the pot at the end of the rainbow. I have gone thru Lockeford so many many times but had no idea they had a hidden treasure.