Friday, March 16, 2018

It's A Pattern

After a couple of days of company, yesterday was a day of R&R.  I caught a break in the rain to get barn chores done, and then got sucked into watching old movies while trying to warm up.  When Arden was here last, I had mentioned "The Painted Veil," and there it was on the Classic Movie channel.  It was the original 1934 version with Greta Garbo, Herbert Marshall, and George Brent.  Perhaps more than a little melodramatic, but still a good story.  The remake in 2006 with Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, and Liev Schreiber is, in my opinion, better (not always the case with a remake) and probably closer to Somerset Maugham's book.

Not a particular fan of Elizabeth Taylor (don't throw rocks at me), I had never seen "BUtterfield 8," the 2006 film for which she won an Oscar.  What the heck, Stove was warming the house, hot cocoa was warming me, and I knew I was going to blow off the day anyhow.  I was surprised to see Eddie Fisher in a bit part.  Laurence Harvey had the male lead.  I will say that the movie wasn't a complete waste of time.

I wasn't so lucky when it came time to put the girls to bed and got soaked.  My barn shoes are ready for retirement, and I squelched up and down the hill.  There is a pair of replacements in the closet.  It poured buckets of rain all night, and wind battered the house.  It's the combination that always has me worried for the trees.  I won't know until daylight if they're all still standing.  Fingers crossed.

Leftover chili, old movies, warm stove:  it was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad it was a good day, and I agree...I've never been a Taylor fan, but truthfully haven't seen that many.