Monday, March 12, 2018

Back On Track

Turns out my confusion yesterday was caused by my sleepyhead computer.  It doesn't like the time change, either, and was slow making  the conversion.  It was nice to know I'd actually done the right thing at the right time the night before.

The girls had barely rubbed the sleep out of their eyes and Missy was still curled up in her little bed when I arrived at the barn.  If I'd used new time, chores would have cut well into the morning, so I went down an hour early, old/new time.  Whatever.  Aarrgh!

Thank goodness for DVR and the pause button.  I didn't miss any of the race and still got a lovely, much-needed nap.  Bowyer had a pretty good day and came in with the top ten.

Having shot most of the day anyhow, I decided to clean off some of the many programs I'd put on DVR instead of being productive.  What I watched were educational, but disheartening.  An in-depth investigation into Second Amendment radicals and what led up to the bombing in Oklahoma City in 1995 and the prior tragedy at Ruby Ridge had me in tears.  Another documentary about the bombing of Wall Street in 1920, starting with the deportation of many hundreds of innocent immigrants and hatred for the supposed Communist threat had me thinking that, in a way, history is being repeated.  I finished a depressing day with an hours-long look at the war in Vietnam, including interviews with a large number of surviving members of the military, with their photos from their time in country.  Old men now, many could not help crying as they recounted the horrors they had witnessed.  As I said, educational, but disheartening.

On a brighter note, I got a text from Clay, who said he's coming up on Wednesday!  Now that's something to look forward to.

Sundown has slowly been getting later anyhow; with the time change, it was nearly 7 o'clock when I put the girls to bed.  I'd been used to fixing dinner after their bedtime.  As it was, it was really too late for that so I scrambled an egg (thanks, Camille) and called it good.

Missy had been waiting for her bowl, and she behaved beautifully.  How does one train a cat not to bite, you ask?  I've found that petting while they are "good," but removing the hand at the first change in body language works.  They seem to understand that they will lose that which they like and want immediately if they misbehave.  It has worked with cats in the past, but it would never work with Deb and Craig's cat Clyde.  Clyde, as they will admit, has a screw loose.  Cats are funny that way.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad you got it all sorted out and YAY for CLAY!