Sunday, March 4, 2018

Slow Going

Even though the sun had been up for a couple of hours, there was a pretty good ice crust on top of the snow and it was slow trip to the barn yesterday.  Opening doors, once again I was surprised (shocked, is more like it) at the ability of rain or melting ice drops from the roof to unerringly hit the margin of bare skin between my collar and my hat.  Talk about a waker-upper!

The photos are from the night before last.  All the snow was gone and the ground was clear when I put the girls to bed.  In the five minutes or so that chore took, it began to hail, and I mean it came down hard.  The top shot is as I was leaving the pen.  The other was as I approached the house.  It felt like getting hit with shotgun pellets (not that I've ever been hit with shotgun pellets).

By 10:00 yesterday, nearly all the overnight snow had melted, the sun shone brightly, and it was a beautiful morning.  When my friend Arden mentioned she needed supplies from Holiday, I offered to drive.  My truck has 4WD and her little car does not.  Even though the ground was clear here, I wasn't sure how the roads would be and it's better to be safe than sorry.  I knew it could be slow going.  We agreed to go in a couple of hours, but then I looked at the dark clouds to the west and moved the time up.  They can close in fast and it wouldn't do to get caught in a storm, rain or snow.  It's always good to spend time with my friend, we ran into no ice slicks, and we were home again, home again, jiggity jig.

In the afternoon, there was a rerun of the day before.  Hail pounded down and covered everything just as before.  What's up with that?  I brushed the pellets off the goats as they went into their stalls, imagining how it would feel when they melted.  Brrr!

There was just a light snowfall last night.  I think we're due for a couple of nice days before the next storm comes in.  I'll take 'em.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

You and your critters are of sturdy stock!! Well...except for Ralph and Celeste who lounge around all day inside - LOL