Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Grand Central Station

Farview has been fairly buzzing with guests the last few days.  Florence and Dan, longtime friends, came yesterday.  Keeping a safe distance (more about that later), we sat for a visit on the porch.  Michael was in seventh heaven to have them here.  It was Florence who brought him to me in the first place.  He had done so well with George that I didn't put a leash on my wandering minstrel.  He sat by Florence, he sat by Dan, he came back to sit by me...and then he took off.  Dagnabit!  I didn't get too worried because he headed over toward my woods and not down the road.  He would come back, put in an appearance, and then take off again.

We continued our visit.  We had lost touch for a period of time and I can't say enough how good it is to reconnect.  Then it was time to load Fu Manchu onto their trailer.  Talk about a comedy of errors.  I had wondered how we would accomplish the deed since none of us is in our prime anymore and, while not as big as John Not-So-Dear, Fu isn't exactly a lightweight.  It's also been years since I've driven him and it took a bit of jiggling this and shifting that to get him out of gear and rolling.  Florence was prepared with a come along to pull him up the ramp.  Yeah, well.  It took the come along and the three of us to accomplish that.  At one point, being the graceful type, I lost my footing and went tumbling.  Regardless, we, in the words of Larry The Cable Guy, got 'er done!  There was time and need for a sit-down after that.  Michael was also weary and actually asked to go back in the house, company or no, so he wasn't with me to wave goodbye to friends and Fu.

In the morning, I had had to make a run to the corner (about three miles) store.  I geared up with mask and gloves.  Of all the customers and clerk, I was the only one so protected and the six-foot rule did not seem to register.  I truly do not understand this.  In words I heard recently, what do you have to lose?  Only your life, people!  This pandemic is no joke and nothing to ignore.  I conducted my business and got the heck out of Dodge.

It was trash day.  Michael had been so good about staying in range and I knew he was tired, so I trusted him to load up without a leash.  My mistake.  That little booger headed toward the truck with me, did an about-face, ignored me completely, and headed down to the road.  Aarrgh!  I yelled, I pleaded.  Nope!  Well, he'll surely come right back.  I got quite a bit of weeding done, kept company by Missy...no Michael.  Finally I had to get the trash down to the road and left.  Coming home, there he was, waiting by the drive.  I roared at him and he headed toward the house.  By this time he really was dragging, and I followed slowly in the truck.  He knew he was in hot water and stayed well out of sight the rest of the night.

It was quite a day.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What a funny little guy you have. But at least he seems to be safe with his wanderings.